Holy Rood Catholic Church, which is set in the centre of Barnsley in South Yorkshire, was opened in 1905.
Visitors are often caught unawares by their first sight of the interior where a wealth of brick, marble and wood, convey a sense of splendour and dignity, in direct contrast to the exterior which is plain and almost unadorned.
On either side of the church, above the shrines is blank tracery panelling, into which are set the fourteen Stations of the Cross. They are the original work – in design and execution – of Mr Gabriel Pippett, of Oxford. They were erected to the memory of the 100 men of Holy Rood who lost their lives in the 1914 – 1918 war. To see the Stations of the Cross click here.